What is Synergy ?
Synergy is a program that challenges students to tackle the social issues that matter most to them. Established by the Harvard Social Innovation Collaborative, Synergy is a Harvard-based social entrepreneurship bootcamp that equips the Greater Boston college community with the social entrepreneurship skills and knowledge needed to tackle pressing social challenges. Taking place at Harvard University, Synergy allows participants to leverage the unique assets of Boston - an urban hub of grit and innovation. Through award-winning speakers, business skill workshops, field trips, and mentorship, Synergy guides you through the process of building a social enterprise - from ideation and product design to business development and investment pitching. While in Synergy, students will also have the opportunity to delve into Greater Boston’s social issues, learn from experts and entrepreneurs currently involved in the world of social innovation, and develop the local network they need to launch their own companies - here or worldwide.
Why was Synergy Created?
Synergy aims to address two needs: students who are interested in social entrepreneurship and would love to explore; students who wish to know their community outside of campus in a deeper level. Synergy was established in order to foster an understanding of and appreciation for social innovation in students of all backgrounds. Furthermore, Synergy aims to give its participants a real world experience by utilizing the unique aspects of social innovation intrinsic to the city of Boston.
Case studies to help participants gain a deeper understanding of what goes into the creation of a successful venture
- Guided contextual analysis of specific business situations
- Small group setting encourages dynamic exchanges between students
Workshops to foster both professional and personal development, equipping participants with skills useful now and in the future
- Led by leading Harvard professors and distinguished guest speakers
- Talks and hands-on activities regarding a variety of topics from ideation to product design to pitching
Panels to inspire, connect, and answer participants’ questions about social innovation
- Hear from successful social entrepreneurs and currents students about their experiences bringing about change with the exciting projects they’ve been working on
- Opportunities for mentorships and creating long-lasting social networks for support and advice
Pitch competition where participants present, share, and celebrate what they have been working on for the past week
- Insightful feedback from venture capitalists
- Prizes for winning teams include one-on-one mentoring sessions, shirts, and certificates